This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 2.5 Australia License.
Asus Fancy Start utility lets you change your bios or POST boot screen to an image of your choice. The ASUS U43JC Bamboo laptop supports FancyStart and this tutorial is written for it.
To use FancyStart, you will need to first enable the setting in the bios. To do this, enter your bios setup by pressing F2 at the POST screen (just after you turn the power on) and go to the Advanced settings and enable the FancyStart option.
Save and exit then boot into Windows and ensure you have the ASUS FancyStart Utility installed. If not, you can download and install it from the ASUS Support Site.
Because ASUS FancyStart only supports images that are 1024 pixels wide by 768 pixels high (1024x768) the images you use with it will be stretched horizontally from 1024 pixels wide up to 1366 pixels to fit the screen panel (the U43JC’s 14” LED backlit panel’s native resolution is 1366x768).
To fix this, you need to shrink the image horizontally but not vertically, so that when it is stretched, it appears in the correct proportions. You can do this easily in Adobe Photoshop by following these steps:
- Create a new document 1366x768 pixels and complete the design you would like to appear when you boot your laptop with ASUS FancyStart
- Select the “Image” menu and click “Image Size”
- Untick the box “Constrain Proportions”
- Change the width property from 1366 to 1024 and click “Ok” (your image will now look squished but this is normal)
- Save the file as a JPG then open ASUS FancyStart and check you are in “Picture” mode
- Click “Add” and select the image you have just created
- Click “Apply” and restart your computer
- If your FancyStart image does not appear, check that you enabled it in the bios as mentioned above.